realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Monday, September 11, 2006

And I’m A Junior Doctor

After a 36 hour shift – my 2nd Sunday on call in a row – with less than 3 hours sleep. And I’m watching other doctors do the same on the TV. And blogging about. Why am I not in bed?

More importantly, what do you, my readers (the few that’s left!), think of the Junior Doctors show and the life of the pond scum in the hospital, the junior doctor?
The main thing I’ve learnt so far in my internship is that I have to do what no one else will do – wheel patients down for scans, run to pathology, carry stuff from one place to another because porters don’t seem to “port”, nurses aren’t “certified” to do anything and no ECG machine ever seems to work. And in some bizarre twist of fate, the most reluctant of medical students has become 1 of the few interns in the hospital who’s actually enjoying the 80odd hour week.

Next week promises to be good – the interns fight back.

4 Comments:

Blogger Simon said...

get some sleep Auds

September 12, 2006 12:31 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to watch this show because my sister's a doctor, though I don't think she's a 'junior' any more - she graduated 3 years ago and according to her, she'll be running the health service/a paediatric consultant/God in a few weeks or possibly hours - but I only made it through five minutes last night. It's not at all like Scrubs! :-)

September 12, 2006 10:57 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a bit of the show, all right, and I feel for you! Happy wheeling...

September 12, 2006 7:55 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only saw the show this week, not last week. It seemed really negative to me! It seemed to focus on the interns as they tip-toed around in the middle of the night, announcing how little sleep they had gotten, how much paperwork they had to do, how many patients they had.

Perhaps there will be a different theme next week- from your post, it can't all be doom and gloom? Can it?

+ a related question, as someone thinking about doing med, do the hours get better in your second and successive years?

September 14, 2006 5:40 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home